Making your server public

ExO

Admin

Ex vi animi

Intro:

Since a lot of people have been requesting an up to date guide on how to make a Trinity Core server or repack public, I've decided to swiftly explain it to you.

Opening your ports:

The procedure to open your ports is different for every router. The best place to go would be PortForward.com. Just search your router and follow the BASIC (not WoW) guide on opening the following ports:

• 80 (Default port for Apache servers. If you aren't running a site of sorts, this is not required.)
  • 3306 (Default port for MySQL servers. If you don't need your MySQL to be accessible remotely, this is not required.)
  • 3443 (Default port for Remote Access, if you aren't using RA, this is not required.)
  • 7878 (Default port for Simple Object Access Protocol, if you aren't using SOAP, this is not required.)
  • 3724 (Mandatory realmlist port.)
  • 8085 (Mandatory World server port.)

Once done please check if your ports are open using this site. Don't use other tools, as they'll probably be incorrect.

Getting a DNS:

A DNS will serve as your realmlist, for example Blackrock-Gaming uses 'realm.blackrock-gaming.com' of course, you'd need a domain name for that; but there are free sites to do that, such as DYNDNS. Your 'IP' address is the IP address that you can find here. Make sure the setting is 'Host with IP address' and nothing else.

Changing the HOSTS file:

This step is important, since you are the HOST of the server, the computer should be expecting incoming connections from an IP. By default, the computer only expects incoming connections from '127.0.0.1', that is your local host. Navigate to 'C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/' and open the 'hosts' file with notepad and make sure you edit it:
Code:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.# 127.0.0.1 localhost# myexternalipaddress mydyndns
Once done, just close and safe.

Changing the realmlist:

This last step is forgotten by many and is 'the most important' step to actually get your Trinity Core to be public. Open your database via HeidiSQL, go into the 'auth' database and open the 'realmlist' table. There, change the address from '127.0.0.1' to 'myexternalipaddress'
Close the table. Success! You're done!.

Outro:

If you did the above correctly your server should be public. If not, it could be that your firewall or anti-virus is still blocking connections, if so, just disable them.

Players can reach your server by setting their realmlist to either your external IP address or your DYNDNS. 'Protecting' your IP address is useless, as anyone with a brain can simply ping the DYNDNS and figure out what your IP is. A hacker can't do anything with just your IP either, so stop being paranoid.

Please by advised that you SHOULD NOT change anything within the actual config files of Trinity, these settings are correct by default. Do not change them unless you know what you're doing.

Warning: I am NOT responsible for any possible damage caused to your router.
I will NEVER help you open your ports via TeamViewer or anything like that.

This tutorial was brought to you by Jeutie.
-- All the credits goes to Jeutie, this is just a share.

Last edited by a moderator:

christianc3

Trial Member
"# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.# 127.0.0.1 localhost# myexternalipaddress mydyndn"

so we need this whole thing in it? and does it stay 127.0.0.1 or is it your ip, or the domain ip? sorry for a stupid question, just new to this ^_^

ExO

Admin
"# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.# 127.0.0.1 localhost# myexternalipaddress mydyndn"

so we need this whole thing in it? and does it stay 127.0.0.1 or is it your ip, or the domain ip? sorry for a stupid question, just new to this ^_^

It's alright, you gotta start somewhere, and yeah just copy it. (You can remove the double spaces though) but where it says "myexternalipadress" & "mydyndn" you edit it to yours, of course.
I hope it answered your question.

mWg

Verified Member
It's alright, you gotta start somewhere, and yeah just copy it. (You can remove the double spaces though) but where it says "myexternalipadress" & "mydyndn" you edit it to yours, of course.
I hope it answered your question.

How To Find The mydyndn?

Devyl

Trial Member

ExO

Admin
Hi, i'm new to networking, so i already have problem with forwarding my ports. Once i try to do it with my internal ip address it seems ok but everytime that sometimes want to connect it says that ports aren't open i also tried turning off firewall it seems like i can't bind the external ip addres which is required to onnect, some ss:
http://scr.hu/0qnf/ziomt
http://scr.hu/0qnf/lelc0
http://scr.hu/0qnf/cn8pj
http://scr.hu/0qnf/oecf0

Which router do you have? I would suggest googling around with that specefic router on google to find any other possible useful information, could be a special case with your router. That was the case with mine (D-Link)

sephiro

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Follow step by step, however I can not put the server to run on a dedicated!
:(

chrados

Trial Member
Hi Thanks for this tutorial, however i'm having a little problem, and i hope if yu guys can help me, i have my server working fine, i followed every step to make the server public, right now everybody can register at the website, how ever i'm trying to connect to the game from anoter pc in another network (actually from work) to the server and play, but i get stuck at connecting, then after a few seconds it says Login server down.

I think all the right ports are forwarded, i use open port check tool to validate and it seems alright, but still have this issue, hope ou can help me out with this.

w1nd5145h

Silver Supporter
Veteran Member
Hi Thanks for this tutorial, however i'm having a little problem, and i hope if yu guys can help me, i have my server working fine, i followed every step to make the server public, right now everybody can register at the website, how ever i'm trying to connect to the game from anoter pc in another network (actually from work) to the server and play, but i get stuck at connecting, then after a few seconds it says Login server down.

I think all the right ports are forwarded, i use open port check tool to validate and it seems alright, but still have this issue, hope ou can help me out with this.

I've got the exact same problem...

OMGhixD

Gold Supporter
Epic Member
Try too disable ur firewall, ENABLING ALL PORTS and retry. If that works you mustoff forgotten a port
make sure that the realmlist database table has a adress of ur external IP! but localadress should have 127.0.0.1

Leony

Verified Member
oh please have a problem that apparently I'm the only one I lift the server and all is well even me creates the perfect accounts but when I raise my client logging me me check the credentials all ok and try to enter the kingdom and gives me connecting and nothing after a few seconds puts me have been disconnected from the server and the server generates this error WorldSocket :: handle_input_header (): client (account: 3, char [GUID: 0, name: <none>]) sent malformed packet ( size: 13272, cmd: 309422162) :(:confused: