[REPACK POLL] - Which PATCH? Need your VOTE!

What other patch should we provide fixes and repack releases for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ExO

Admin
logouse.png

Emucoach has and will still have it's main focus on Cataclysm.

BUT! We need your vote... Keep reading!

Another patch?

More and more of you guys are also becoming interested in other projects. Not because Cataclysm is bad, but because you like to experiment and try something new (From my understanding)

I am open for the idea to work on another patch (with a repack project like Emucoach Cata), as a secondary project, aside from Cataclysm, and even merge the fixes in. (So this means Cataclysm fixes get into the other patch, and opposite - if the data is valid of course!)

So we need your help! What patch would you like to see get worked on?

Think realistic. What do you personally want to see improved? MOP? Legion? WOD..? What is lacking currently in the scene? Is it MOP, is it Legion?
What do you think will gain most interest aside from Cataclysm?

I'd love to hear your opinion! REMEMBER to vote on the poll guys!

(Remember, Cataclysm will still be the main project, and will continue to get regular updates!)
This project will not affect the Cataclysm project in any bad way.

Gilroes

Veteran Member
Verified Member
Mists of Pandaria all the way, you can't find a decent repack without having to pay silly prices for one.

ravish123

Gold Supporter
Senior User
Mists of Pandaria all the way, you can't find a decent repack without having to pay silly prices for one.
Totally agree. and if you guys are to do MoP Don't use any hacked up sources such as firestorm, it's database is so messed up and so many errors are thrown. I would suggest Project Skyfires or something for MoP. It's missing a lot of spell fixes and content but it's not hacked up at all. Also if you guys do plan on working on MoP is it possible you do an open source? I'd love to work on a MoP source to get one working. I used to work on a public core called MoPCore (or MoPSource on github), but everyone stopped working on it due to a lot of problems with the database and it wasn't up to trinitycores standards along with mmaps/pathfinding not working at all and no one could fix them. Of the three expansions you listed MoP is probably the most developed. I'm not sure about WoD though but I expect it do be not as good. Legion has a LONG ways to go and don't think it would be worth while IMO.

Last edited:

Gilroes

Veteran Member
Verified Member
Totally agree. and if you guys are to do MoP Don't use any hacked up sources such as firestorm, it's database is so messed up and so many errors are thrown. I would suggest Project Skyfires or something for MoP. It's missing a lot of spell fixes and content but it's not hacked up at all. Also if you guys do plan on working on MoP is it possible you do an open source? I'd love to work on a MoP source to get one working. I used to work on a public core called MoPCore (or MoPSource on github), but everyone stopped working on it due to a lot of problems with the database and it wasn't up to trinitycores standards along with mmaps/pathfinding not working at all and no one could fix them. Of the three expansions you listed MoP is probably the most developed. I'm not sure about WoD though but I expect it do be not as good. Legion has a LONG ways to go and don't think it would be worth while IMO.

^^^^

Yes please, an open source repack would be awesome.

ExO

Admin

Sounds good! Lets see how the vote poll turns!

Interesting to hear your opinion!
You have a very valid point. It would be nice to work on something clean from the scratch, instead of a messed core from the start, where I don't know what work is remaining and what is done, and also how it's implemented/done.
Eg on Firestorm, I wouldn't know what the developers did (and how), and what they didn't, because we have no .git / commit history.

Maybe SkyFire would be the optimal choice if we go the MOP route (and the poll gets more votes ;), but according to their issue tracker even the simplest things are still not working. Surely gonna be a route as well.

^^^^

Yes please, an open source repack would be awesome.

Regarding OpenSource that you both asked for.. Hm.
In my head OpenSource sounds good because then we can contribute to each other etc etc, but in reality (according to my previous experience), it just never works out like that. Take Ashamanecore as example. The head dev does the majority of the commits.

But my main concern will be that it will just be used by random server owners from bad and unfriendly communities who will just download the source (without even saying thanks), and use it for their server and credit it as their own.

Which is why I feel like a repack project like Cataclysm (just with daily updates), maybe even a system with automatic updates/fixes will be good.

What do you think tho?

Gilroes

Veteran Member
Verified Member
Sounds good! Lets see how the vote poll turns!

Interesting to hear your opinion!
You have a very valid point. It would be nice to work on something clean from the scratch, instead of a messed core from the start, where I don't know what work is remaining and what is done, and also how it's implemented/done.
Eg on Firestorm, I wouldn't know what the developers did (and how), and what they didn't, because we have no .git / commit history.

Maybe SkyFire would be the optimal choice if we go the MOP route (and the poll gets more votes ;), but according to their issue tracker even the simplest things are still not working. Surely gonna be a route as well.

In my head OpenSource sounds good because then we can contribute to each other etc etc, but in reality (according to my previous experience), it just never works out like that. Take Ashamanecore as example. The head dev does the majority of the commits.

But my main concern will be that it will just be used by random server owners from bad and unfriendly communities who will just download the source (without even saying thanks), and use it for their server and credit it as their own.

Which is why I feel like a repack project like Cataclysm (just with daily updates), maybe even a system with automatic updates/fixes will be good.

What do you think tho?

Let trusted people have access to the source code, and I mean trusted people that literally dedicate their lives to EMUCoach.

whatwhat

Veteran Member
Verified Member
I'd love to see a better Legion repack. I wish there was a repack that works just as well as WoW Freakz server does. That would be amazing.

I vote for Legion!

ExO

Admin
I'd love to see a better Legion repack. I wish there was a repack that works just as well as WoW Freakz server does. That would be amazing.

I vote for Legion!

Right! Remember to vote on the poll at the top of the thread so your vote counts clearly.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
I'm trying my best to think of a way to implement a system to stop idiots leaking sources.. ._.

Probably just very trusted people who only have access to certain parts of the source, based on what they're "assigned" or what they're good at.
Even then, it wouldn't matter that much if the source is leaked in the early days, as it wont be much different from the publicly available source we'd start from.

We'd probably have a few people help with the initial development, then slowly drop down to just the people we have now, plus maybe 1 or 2 after the Cata repack is 99%. It's to lower the chance of leaking, and because we wouldn't need that many developers on it since it would be the main goal of EmuCoach.

Maurowin

Silver Supporter
Veteran Member

We have bad things in opensource and closed project too. AzerothCore is an opensource project and work well.

I don't know if you can grant acces on github but i think so.

LeRutY

Silver Supporter
Veteran Member
Why MoP if you can play Legion? Legion has more content, updated graphics and sounds, I personnally like switching specs on the run and not using an item for that or easily changing talents.

Loras

Gold Supporter
:) I voted for legion, reasons below:
1- Client is easy to obtain, live server for sniffs, bigger audience.
2- Trinity master branch, solid foundation (mostly stable, though lacks proper scripting to make things work blizzlike).
AshamaneCore master branch, faster commits, even though db is a little behind, good foundation to start a project on as well.
3- Artifact weapons with 3rd slot unlock and skin unlock,this is the deal breaker and the WOW factor, either the hacky implementation or blizzlike implementaion (tons of work to do).

Thoughts on MoP route :
1- JadeCore is a solid foundation for MoP too.

Just some wild thoughts.

Loras

alexkulya

SC Group LK
Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I am for the Legion. Well, to be more precise, choose the content for which you have enough strength and patience.

ravish123

Gold Supporter
Senior User
Why MoP if you can play Legion? Legion has more content, updated graphics and sounds, I personnally like switching specs on the run and not using an item for that or easily changing talents.
Well MoP is already further developed than Legion is by far. From past experiences I would assume 90% or the spells work and if JadeCore is selected then lots of the content works in MoP disregarding a few endgame content. Although Legion does have a lot of content, graphics, sounds, etc, it would be an extreme hassle getting everything working. The phasing system for Legion is currently broke right now and TrinityCore and Ashamancore are both struggling to get it working. Spells are around 60% from what I've seen (maybe it has changed), I believe the artifact system still needs a lot of work and no one has got the creature scaling working for older contents. Along with creature scaling they're still trying to figure out how stat scaling works with gear, meaning players won't have the same stats blizzard has at max level for the best gear. The reason I'm picking MoP is due to the fact the it has a lot more content working and if it were to be selected for a possible next repack it wouldn't lacking so much stuff like TrinityCore and Ashamancore. Not to mention a big team would be needed to keep up with, if they're only 2 people working on a Legion core here on emucoach (and they're main focus wouldn't the core, it would be the cata core) they would most likely fall behind. In my opinion stick with MoP because no one is working on one right now and there's a huge gap between working expansions between cata and later expansions. Leave legion to tons of people already working it.