Minimum hardware specs?

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Hi all. I'm wondering what are the minimum hardware specs to install and run a EmuCoach server?
I have an old Probook 650 G1 i3 laptop with 4GB ram and Windows 7 kicking around and I'll only be hosting it as a family game server, maybe 5 players on at a time. I could always install Linux on it if that would be easier or better.
I'm hoping this may be enough to run a playable server.
Any advice? Will this work? Or will it suffer? It's only roll will be as server, no client running on this system, just the bare bones.
I have mostly Mac computers in my home, so clients will be Mac. But this old laptop has no job. Mind you, it also has to be enough to actually build the server also I suppose.
Originally I hoped to run a Mac server (first choice), but that hope seems dashed as I can't seem to build a working one, and haven't found a Mac server repack anywhere.
Thanks,
Aescleal

Last edited:

mastermind

Silver Supporter
Senior User
If you strip out all unnecessary services and apps it should work for 5 players.
i have had 5 connected to a mini PC running Windows 10 (Intel 64-bit Cherry-Trail x5-Z8300 @ 1.84GHz 4GB DDR3 RAM) and it did just fine, even in busy instances.

Do a Google search for services that are ok to disable. That should free up some resources on a Windows 7 system.

Good Luck

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Great, that's encouraging. I looked up mysql min specs and they literally have none. But I read 8MB ram is a good starting point depending on how light the server load, and no theoretical maximum.
So for running a world server and mysql, I figured it may be enough.
Thanks for the reassurance.
Aescleal

ExO

Admin
Great, that's encouraging. I looked up mysql min specs and they literally have none. But I read 8MB ram is a good starting point depending on how light the server load, and no theoretical maximum.
So for running a world server and mysql, I figured it may be enough.
Thanks for the reassurance.
Aescleal

Should be enough indeed.

But in case you have Linux experience / want to learn, I recommend that you use Linux (if you can install the Emucoach server on Linux, eventually you can use Wine - we have a guide for it but I didn't test it myself though).
Reason why I recommend you to use Linux if you can is that it uses less resources compared to Windows.

But honestly, for a few players, it might be fine to run it in Windows at first.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Should be enough indeed.

But in case you have Linux experience / want to learn, I recommend that you use Linux (if you can install the Emucoach server on Linux, eventually you can use Wine - we have a guide for it but I didn't test it myself though).
Reason why I recommend you to use Linux if you can is that it uses less resources compared to Windows.

But honestly, for a few players, it might be fine to run it in Windows at first.

I'd like to try that Linux guide I think. But first I'll try to fix Windows. It is being a particular twit on me with .net errors and c++ redist errors. And none of the tricks/fixes I find are solving the matter. Got any windows trick? :)
It may be better to just install Linux. A quick look and I didn't see it. (I must be tired) I'll look on the weekend.

Last edited:

mastermind

Silver Supporter
Senior User
.NET issues can be troublesome to fix if the install is corrupt for some reason.
Just to make sure the right version is installed. In the game server download archive is a RAR titled "Required Software.rar". This contains two installers. One is the C++ redist and the other is the OpenSSL.
May be worth installing both of these just to make sure the correct versions are installed.

Of course going the Linux route can be a lot of fun. If nothing else it would be an adventure.