Making Server Public?

rasman

Verified Member
Hi all -

I've been searching the forums for an answer to this issue but havent found anything yet. Basically I'd like to make my server public so a couple of my friends can login and play with me. I've seen a lot of tutorials online for other repacks and game versions but nothing for this specific emucoach repack. I'm using the free version for now but may upgrade to the VIP if I can get this issue resolved.

So far the steps I've taken are:

1. I've port forwarded 8085 and 3724 on my router.

2. I've obtained a free dynamic ip and dns name from no-ip.com

3. I've edited my hosts file in the windows/system32/driver/etc folder with the two added lines:
127.0.0.1 localhost
"myipnumber" "mydnsname" (I'm not going to put this info here but it's the same dynamic ip and dns name I got from no-ip.com)

4. I used heidisql to change the realmlist in the database to my dynamic ip (I also tried leaving it as 127.0.0.1)

5. I changed the config.txt file in the cleint's WTF folder to both my dns name and my dynamic ip

None of that has worked. The only way I can login is if I keep the database's realmlist on 127.0.0.1 and if I keep my client's config.txt file to 127.0.0.1
Which Im pretty sure only allows me to play but no one else.

Is there some step I'm missing? Have I configured something wrong? Is this even possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Loving the repack so far.

koradorel

MoP Premium
Verified Member
The easiest way to do this without port forwarding is to :
Step 1 : Download Hamachi (https://hamachi.en.softonic.com/) - be sure to read the options, decline all the additional offers
Step 2 : Set up a network on hamachi
Step 3 : Take your hamachi IP and plug it into the worlserver.config + authserver.config
Step 4 : Enter the database with the original IP and add a new user with all permissions using your Hamachi IP
Step 5 : Have friends use hamachi IP as the realmlist

Success. Please let me know if you need any more assistance or would like me to go further into detail.

hlidkskialf

Gold Supporter
Verified Member
5. I changed the config.txt file in the cleint's WTF folder to both my dns name and my dynamic ip
You're 99% there. But don't change it in the config.txt file. This gets overwritten by what's on the realmlist.wtf file every launch. Go into the client's "/Data/enGB/realmlist.wtf" file. Change it here to your external IP name that you used in modifying the realmlist in your database.
If playing at home, you can leave it as your local ip, but your friends will have to use the external ip in their realmlist.wtf to join your server.
Good luck!

rasman

Verified Member
The easiest way to do this without port forwarding is to :
Step 1 : Download Hamachi (https://hamachi.en.softonic.com/) - be sure to read the options, decline all the additional offers
Step 2 : Set up a network on hamachi
Step 3 : Take your hamachi IP and plug it into the worlserver.config + authserver.config
Step 4 : Enter the database with the original IP and add a new user with all permissions using your Hamachi IP
Step 5 : Have friends use hamachi IP as the realmlist

Success. Please let me know if you need any more assistance or would like me to go further into detail.

Okay, I will look into Hamachi but where in the worldserver.config and authserver.config files would I put the Ip? The only value I see is the "bind IP" address which is set to 0.0.0.0,
I've tried substituting in the IP I want there but it doesn't work.

rasman

Verified Member
You're 99% there. But don't change it in the config.txt file. This gets overwritten by what's on the realmlist.wtf file every launch. Go into the client's "/Data/enGB/realmlist.wtf" file. Change it here to your external IP name that you used in modifying the realmlist in your database.
If playing at home, you can leave it as your local ip, but your friends will have to use the external ip in their realmlist.wtf to join your server.
Good luck!
There is no realmlist.wtf file in the data/enUS/ directory for this repack. The only file I can edit is the config.txt file in the client's WTF folder.

hlidkskialf

Gold Supporter
Verified Member
There is no realmlist.wtf file in the data/enUS/ directory for this repack. The only file I can edit is the config.txt file in the client's WTF folder.
Your client has this file. (Or should!) I have it set up and working exactly as you wish it too this way with the repack.

Edit: Just noticed that this is for MoP, I'm running the Cata one. However, every client has this file somewhere. In WotLK it's in the interface folder. Do a search for it.

rasman

Verified Member
Your client has this file. (Or should!) I have it set up and working exactly as you wish it too this way with the repack.

Edit: Just noticed that this is for MoP, I'm running the Cata one. However, every client has this file somewhere. In WotLK it's in the interface folder. Do a search for it.

Yeah with MOP, I'm like 99.99% sure there is no separate realmlist.wtf file (I've checked this on other forums). I did check all the inner folders in the client again just to be sure - there are only cinematics and MPQ files there. You can set realmlist in the config.txt file in the WTF folder though. I got my full client from Tauri WOW so maybe their client is modded or something but it seems to work fine when I'm playing solo on my server.

Likon69

Mythical User
Silver Supporter
Superior Member

You change the address in WTF/Config.
Not in Data/enGB/realmlist

HollyRichards

Trial Member
Make sure ports 8085 and 3724 are open and not being blocked by your firewall. As you see, one thing to double-check is your firewall settings. Sometimes, even after port forwarding, the firewall can block the ports you've opened.
Also, make sure the realmlist setting in both your database and client config files is pointing to your dynamic IP or DNS name. This is crucial for others to be able to connect to your server.
If you're still struggling, don't sweat it! Sometimes these things can be a bit finicky. Have you considered trying a dedicated server? It might give you more control and make the process smoother.

Last edited: