Unable to connect. Pleast try again later.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Hi EmuCoach. I'm trying to solve the following logon issue:

1. I've port forward 3724 and 8085 to my internal IP address
2. MySQL realmlist is set up with my public IP
3. A friends client reamlist.wtf is set up with my public IP

They get the logon screen. They enter there account name/pswd.
The error they get is: Unable to connect. Pleast try again later. If the problem persists, pleast contact technical support

Internally on my LAN, I can log on no problem.

MySQL realmlist table is set up as this:
id
name
address
localAddress
localSubnetNask
port
icon
flag
timezone
allowSecurityLevel
population
gamebuild
v10
(publicIP)
(publicIP)
v10local
192...IP
192...IP

Hmmm, what else is there? I can play on my LAN perfectly. But public connections are unable to connect. Just a logon screen and then error.

Thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Lingx

Epic Member
I have a repack running public for friends to connect. I’m not sure what you’ve done “wrong” but I can tell you what I’ve done differently and you can try doing the same.

First of all make sure you have a static IP so your forwarded ports are actually open. Check your IP in ipconfig to see if it matches the same IP that you forwarded for.

Secondly I only have one line in MySQL realmlist table. In my database I have set address to public IP and localAddress to my 192...IP.

Make sure to check your conf files to see that worldserver and auth server actually uses the ports you’ve forwarded.

That’s all I can think of rigth now

Odda

Gold Supporter
I basicly have mine running like Lingx mentioned, and it works... I am sure you have starred at it to the point of blindness and missed a port or something somewhere Aescleal, I am sure you will figure it out.
To me it seems like its either one of the ports that might be blocked, the localAddress needs to be 192.x.x.x and well you need to check all ports that there is signal pushing through :)

You will figure it out bud, im sure.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Update: I made all these changes. And they make sense. I'm very comfortable with networking, routing, even OSI layers and how packets are read. But this is driving me bonkers.
Still a no go.
State of things:
I have a ISPmodem -> DD-DWTrouter -> LAN. In fact, ISPmodem doubles as a router too, so I've moved my server out from under my own router and placed it parallel with my router, under my modem.
So now I have:
Modem -> router and server -> LAN. Yes, my server now is on a different subnet as my LAN. I wanted to know if my router was the issue. Presently I can't reach server from LAN, but that's just a routing table and I can fix that if I can solve this problem first. But if it's unsolvable then I'd just prefer to move it back to my LAN subnet.

Next I thought I'd be thorough and I reserved my server IP (from ISPmodem subnet), and then deleted and recreated my port forwards on ISPmodem. I disabled the firewall on server (relying solely on modem NAT/FW now).
Then, I made sure to update the publicAddress and localAddress in MySQL realmlist table. I did as you have and I've gone with the one line.

Note::: whatismyip.com and canyouseeme.org both misreport my IP address, so I'm unable to use those. A call to my ISP and they tell me that's common for them, but they are not blocking ports and I should be able to port forward my ports for hosting games.

Am I missing something else? Oh... here... so the ports I've forward on modem are 8085 and 3724. Do I need to forward more that just those? I'm only running basic server, no registration server, but I'd like to play with that at some point if I get this working.

Lastly, I'd like to know what you guys use for ip addresses in your worldserver.conf. So you leave those as 127.0.0.1?

/me is red faced and bleery-eyed. (round and round I go)

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Here's the deal on this. I will never be able to port forward with this ISP. Support told me I could set up port forwarding, and technically they are right, so long as the people trying to connect to me are on my same wan subnet, like maybe a neighbor. What they do is Double NAT. So the publicIP that I receive from there is actually an internalIP on there network.

Long story short I discovered this as a complaint on the internet, and it explains my plight perfectly.

I did a tool that sounded great called 'ngrok' (ngrok.com) but it turns out, it is not able to handle UDP packets so it is very unreliable (beware). If that ever changes, I'll switch to it. ngrok works great for web servers and the such, and even for some gaming that doesn't require udp.

In the end, I've determined I have to go with Hamachi (vpn.net) Follow Exo's guide. Hamachi is very simple and easy to use, it just carries it's own overhead and relies on a third part server and software to open access to your server.

/end rant

Last edited: