Creating a Blizzlike CDN using inbuilt Apache Webserver - Permanently Fixes Cannot Stream required archive Data / WoW Error 134

Creating a Blizzlike CDN using inbuilt Apache Webserver
Permanently
Fixes Cannot Stream required archive Data / WoW Error 134
Introduction:
Currently, Blizzard has a CDN (Content distribution network) that handles streaming game files using their network technology.
I wish to show the community how to set up a CDN for yourself to be independent of Blizzard.
This is very useful if Blizzard ever turned off their CDN.
Certain popular fan-made wow servers use this right now to serve mini clients and avoid large downloads.
This tutorial is made for people that have basic skills in file management and have a decent understanding of basic web server functions.
For this tutorial, I will be using 4.3.4 repack by Exo but this should work on all other versions of WOW

DISCLAIMER:
IN SOME PLACES IN THE WORLD IT IS ILLEGAL TO HOST OR DOWNLOAD COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.
THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
THE AUTHOR OF THIS TUTORIAL OR WEBSITE YOU ARE READING THIS ON IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS!

Required Tools:

Wow Full and mini Client
Web Browser
Text Editor
Apache Web Server
About 45 minutes

Tutorial:
  1. Download a Full Client and Mini Client (In this case I will use 4.3.4. Links are on the internet)
  2. Open "_Server"
  3. Open "htdocs"
  4. Create a folder "wow-pod-retail".
  5. Open "wow-pod-retail"
  6. Create a folder based on your region in my case "EU"
  7. Open the region folder in my case "EU"
  8. Create a folder with your game version followed by ".direct" in my case "15050.direct"
Switch to the Full Client Folder:
  1. Open WoW.mfil in a Text Editor
  2. Write down the location variable and the manifest_partial variable (EX: http://dist.blizzardsserverhere.com...050.direct/wow-15595-0C13874108346738461.mfil) This is not a real link.
  3. Take your web browser and navigate to what you wrote down.
  4. Save the file as the manifest_partial variable name inside the "wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct" folder you created (EX: wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct/wow-15595-0C13874108346738461.mfil)
  5. Go to the root of the full client folder
  6. Erase Everything in Wow.mfil and modify accordingly as follows:
  7. version=2
    server=limelight
    location=http://IPTOSERVERHERE:81/wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct/
    manifest_partial=MANIFEST_PARTIALVARIABLEHERE.mfil
  8. Copy the "Data" folder from the root of the Full Client Folder to the "wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct" you created
Switch Back to the _Server Folder:

1. Launch Apache.bat

Switch Back to Full Client Folder:
You should now be able to launch the Full client and it will not use blizzard Servers to download game files.
But there is little point in doing this on a full client, the goal of this is to maximize playtime and minimize download time.

Switch to Mini Client Folder:
  1. Erase Everything in Wow.mfil and modify accordingly as follows:
  2. version=2
    server=limelight
    location=http://IPTOSERVERHERE:81/wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct/
    manifest_partial=MANIFEST_PARTIALVARIABLEHERE.mfil
  3. Load Wow.exe and watch it bootstrap all the .mpq files :cool:

Additional Notes:
1.First time I tried this I received a MD5 mismatch error.
You can Download the Original Game Files from the original cdn and reupload them to your Apache Webserver in their appropriate folder.
2.Alternative languages may need to be downloaded as well.
3.Depending on the region you may need the correct files and names as well.
4.Never use "HTTPS:// " in Cataclysm WoW.mfil files.

Conclusion:
It's great to always be self-sufficient just in case if Blizzard Decides to remove support for our beloved old copies of WoW. Thanks Again everybody!

Last edited:

Taube11111

Trial Member
This is a really nice guide.
But does it work with modern Clients like 9.2.7 or 7.3.5 ? (cause there is no WoW.mfil File just the .build.info )

Could it be enougth to copy the CDN-Files from Blizz and pull it into "htdocs/wow/*" folder and modify the Host file with this ones in this case (for a local deplyment)?
127.0.0.1 eu.patch.battle.net
127.0.0.1 us.patch.battle.net
127.0.0.1 cn.patch.battle.net
127.0.0.1 real-en.patch.battle.net
127.0.0.1 real-us.patch.battle.net
127.0.0.1 real-cn.patch.battle.net

This is the Errormessage from an Offline Shadowlands Client
1667557539816.png

This is a really nice guide.
But does it work with modern Clients like 9.2.7 or 7.3.5 ? (cause there is no WoW.mfil File just the .build.info )
I haven't tested. So far only 4.3.4.

I don't think this works anymore. The URL in the .mfil file is invalid when entered in a browser.
It won't show in the browser but the client ignores manifest_partial=MANIFEST_PARTIALVARIABLEHERE.mfil