Noob question, what is Minimal Client?

voralyx

Veteran Member
Hi all the experts out there,

If you could kindly shed some light of knowledge I'd be so grateful.

It's a very noob question but I'm confused how this Minimal client works. So my understanding is:
-Minimal clients includes all game's essential executables + basic character starting zone maps
-As you explore and if you have internet connection, the map zones that are not included will be pulled from Blizzard server
-You can download the latest full client from Battlenet, and copy the "Data" folder into your existing minimal client to convert into a full client
(Please correct if any of above is wrong)

Now question:
If I want to play Mysts of Pandaria repack that requires 5.4.2. build 17688, and I got the Minimal client for it, but I want to convert this to full client, can I copy the 'Data' folder from ANY version that is newer than 5.4.2. build 17688 over?
For example, can I copy over the data folder from the most recent client Shadowlands 9.1.5 build 40944 (released Nov7-2021) into this 5.4.2 Minimal?
Or the data must be from within same expansion (any data folder from Mists of Pandaria versions as long as newer than v17688) ?

I tried this yesterday putting the full data folder from 9.1.5 into a 9.0.2 minimal client and I got an error message asking me to repair the client.
If anyone can clarify this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

KeldonZ

Veteran Member
Hi all the experts out there,

If you could kindly shed some light of knowledge I'd be so grateful.

It's a very noob question but I'm confused how this Minimal client works. So my understanding is:
-Minimal clients includes all game's essential executables + basic character starting zone maps
-As you explore and if you have internet connection, the map zones that are not included will be pulled from Blizzard server
-You can download the latest full client from Battlenet, and copy the "Data" folder into your existing minimal client to convert into a full client
(Please correct if any of above is wrong)

Now question:
If I want to play Mysts of Pandaria repack that requires 5.4.2. build 17688, and I got the Minimal client for it, but I want to convert this to full client, can I copy the 'Data' folder from ANY version that is newer than 5.4.2. build 17688 over?
For example, can I copy over the data folder from the most recent client Shadowlands 9.1.5 build 40944 (released Nov7-2021) into this 5.4.2 Minimal?
Or the data must be from within same expansion (any data folder from Mists of Pandaria versions as long as newer than v17688) ?

I tried this yesterday putting the full data folder from 9.1.5 into a 9.0.2 minimal client and I got an error message asking me to repair the client.
If anyone can clarify this I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Hello,

Well.. If you play with the same language and all of that IN THE SAME BUILD VERSION i think you can copy/paste the full client in the minimal even if in my opinion i don't recommand at all.

Sometimes, some client are modified for private server and you can have some edited files for " modding " so be sur to choose carefuly the website where you download your client.

I recommand to choose one of the other, Minimal or Full 🐼 🎍