New Bug Fixing System!

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
ExO had told me he was looking to add a new system for VIP users that would allow them to get access to bug fixes involving the database without having to wait for the next version. After discusing it with him, I ended up with an idea for a program to do it for the VIP users, almost automatically, that way we can minimize the effort they have to do.

I am currently developing this Bug Patcher for EmuCoach. As of right now, we could actualy release it, however it still needs a little more work here and there.
Basically, this program would allow VIP users to either choose a specific bug fix and copy it into their database, or to automatically patch all the bugs in the database that we have at the moment.

When the program opens up, just click "Update Patches" and you will see this:
c2138096cab7ed6f82b6bfb7649861bd.png

These are example database bug fixes, with the first one being something I reported on, and the second being something reported by @Rhisk.

Here is when you click 'Get Patch' (Note, this SQL patch may or may not be correct, I was looking everywhere for random bug reports and the SQL fixes:
5fe7cb7736cb13a0bb841b2472b111d3.png

Currently, the 'Auto-Patch' feature has not yet been added, since I wanted to get the main program developed first.

Dev log:
  • Problem where the bug fix was only displayed if it contained 'VALUES', now also works with 'UPDATE' (Currently not using the best method for this)
  • Made the primary window no longer resizeable.
  • Output window no longer resizeable.
  • Now a button to copy the text on the output window, so you'd no longer have to manually copy it.

We are looking to release this program very soon for the VIP users, hoping to help them get updates even faster to thank them for their support!
Please, tell me what you think of this! Any ideas/suggestions to add?

Last edited:

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Really nice! But the obsidian mount fix didn't work for me...

Well it was just a random fix I found. I just needed something to test it out.

Also, as [MENTION=140]brian8544[/MENTION] said, maybe delete your cache folder? Which speaking of, I might add a feature on the program to clear the cache folder or something, not sure yet on new features.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Thanks everyone so far!

I'm making more progress on it.
I've added a button to copy the text in the output window for the bug patch, since the program was meant to save you time, after all.

As of right now, the 'Auto-Patch' feature will be the last thing that gets added, sadly.
Especially since the next feature I'm going to add is necessary before the auto patch is added: A settings options, for you to type in your DB information, and for anything else I might add in the future.

For anyone curious about the progress being made, check the 'Dev log' I've added to the original post.
Note that I'm quite new to programming outside the instruction of a professor, so the original program (before even starting this thread) had a lot of bugs and was poorly written. I was mainly focused on getting it created, before worrying about its usability.

Also, again, if anyone has ANY ideas or suggestions, please tell me them. This program is being designed for you, of course, so it should have your ideas in it! Plus, I'd love to make it as best as I possibly can.

Welzon

Silver Supporter
Veteran Member
awsome id like to see it for us non programers that it will clear cache and fix all it needs fixed and just work that would be amazing less work for us non puter geniuses also i think i said this but not sure where i posted it but what about a vote on what should be fixed next as in say i suggest redridge and someoneelse says deadmines dungeon and third is say beerfest we put it to a vote and say deadmines wins then exo works mostly on deadmines gets it perfect then we vote on new ones and so on gives exo a verying fix log not grinding the same line of fixes all the time we all get a vote and keeps forums a bit more active.

Last edited:

LKarthas

Senior User
Superior Member
awsome id like to see it for us non programers that it will clear cache and fix all it needs fixed and just work that would be amazing less work for us non puter geniuses also i think i said this but not sure where i posted it but what about a vote on what should be fixed next as in say i suggest redridge and someoneelse says deadmines dungeon and third is say beerfest we put it to a vote and say deadmines wins then exo works mostly on deadmines gets it perfect then we vote on new ones and so on gives exo a verying fix log not grinding the same line of fixes all the time we all get a vote and keeps forums a bit more active.
I started with Redridge while i was on Western Plaguelands, then i go for the goblins questline and leave a bit aside redridge, usually i making progressive questing fixes as a regular player, right now i'm on Badlands with the quest of my nightmares, The Day that Deathwing Came, that it's not easy one, i still have redridge in mind also while i was on badlands made a lot of adjustments to westfall and improve it a lot, redridge it's next when i done re-working westfall, but so far still stuck on the Badlands :/ , i don't mind to fix some other quest meanwhile but i need to have almost all the details for it, Questname (ID) the main issue and a link to the officially working video.
Best Regards to you all :D

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member

The voting system could work, however that all depends on ExO and maybe LKArthas if they'd be willing to do that. Also note that this bug patcher will only fix things through the database. Anything through the core will be too much work. This can fix missing NPC's, phasing issues, and more but I can't remember what they are. Also smartscript stuff like for the bloodstone teleporters, etc.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Why would core be too much work? Just let the launcher download the .exe's -- Building a source won't take long anyway :D

Well I was told it would be too much work. I wouldn't know too much about it, but ExO told me that core updates would be a bit of work. I'm guessing he doesn't have the time for it, at least not as of right now.

LKarthas

Senior User
Superior Member
The voting system could work, however that all depends on ExO and maybe LKArthas if they'd be willing to do that. Also note that this bug patcher will only fix things through the database. Anything through the core will be too much work. This can fix missing NPC's, phasing issues, and more but I can't remember what they are. Also smartscript stuff like for the bloodstone teleporters, etc.
I don't have any problem with the vote system to fix bugs, as i said Before i like progressive quest fixing but doesn't mean that i don't attend speccific targeting bugs and answering to brian8544 core updates are more difficult to make, and as DB developer i can ensure that a looooooooooot of fixes on the questing can be made via DB, core fixes must be focussed more on spells and server stability than in quests that can be made via SAI, when you see the 6.2 changelog i can assure that at least 90 % of the fixes come from DB, and so far it's quite extensive :D . Anyways we can focus more on the direct reports, i know that Exo will do :)
Best Regards

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
I don't have any problem with the vote system to fix bugs, as i said Before i like progressive quest fixing but doesn't mean that i don't attend speccific targeting bugs and answering to brian8544 core updates are more difficult to make, and as DB developer i can ensure that a looooooooooot of fixes on the questing can be made via DB, core fixes must be focussed more on spells and server stability than in quests that can be made via SAI, when you see the 6.2 changelog i can assure that at least 90 % of the fixes come from DB, and so far it's quite extensive :D . Anyways we can focus more on the direct reports, i know that Exo will do :)
Best Regards

v6.2? I thought there was only a .1, then it went to the next whole number?
Either way, while a voting system would be nice, I'm not too sure how well it'd work out. What areas would be voted on? We can't just have all alreas in 1 big poll. I think some things can go into a poll for voting, such as a couple of things that'd require a lot of work, and we'd vote on which one gets done for the upcoming version, but everything else would just have to be whatever the developers feel like fixing.

And if you're a DB developer, you wouldn't happen to know anything about databases and Java would you? I'm trying another program that deals with the database, and Google isn't helping too much.

ExO

Admin
Why would core be too much work? Just let the launcher download the .exe's -- Building a source won't take long anyway :D
Mainly because, each time I compile I would need to upload the exe + the lib files with it - roughly 45 MB, to the server. It would be hard to keep up with it, and I don't think it would be worth it considering the time it takes (for each time). PLUS we will still have version releases, and if we also did the core part - there would be no point in version releases. This DB part is for you guys to obtain faster DB fixes, however we still wish to use the version release system - with hype.

LKarthas

Senior User
Superior Member
v6.2? I thought there was only a .1, then it went to the next whole number?
Either way, while a voting system would be nice, I'm not too sure how well it'd work out. What areas would be voted on? We can't just have all alreas in 1 big poll. I think some things can go into a poll for voting, such as a couple of things that'd require a lot of work, and we'd vote on which one gets done for the upcoming version, but everything else would just have to be whatever the developers feel like fixing.

And if you're a DB developer, you wouldn't happen to know anything about databases and Java would you? I'm trying another program that deals with the database, and Google isn't helping too much.

We have been discussing about the frequent updates to the point to aspire a monthly updates for VIP, at that case will be more logical to continue the number release aganist the coursing year V5 was 2015 V6 started at 2016, so until 2017 other repack updates can be called 6.1 6.2 and following, that's up to Exo anyways, maybe he will use those fixes instead for V6.2 for the V7 Directly, and regarding DB, i'm using HeidySQL, it's good for working with querys and generates the code each time you made a change so you can learn it fast, MySQL Workbench it's another good DB program, Navicat (not so much), SQLyog (for importing exporting whole World DB i thinks this it's the best, it's really fast and gives almost no errors)
Best Regards [MENTION=12024]Iroflu[/MENTION]

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
We have been discussing about the frequent updates to the point to aspire a monthly updates for VIP, at that case will be more logical to continue the number release aganist the coursing year V5 was 2015 V6 started at 2016, so until 2017 other repack updates can be called 6.1 6.2 and following, that's up to Exo anyways, maybe he will use those fixes instead for V6.2 for the V7 Directly, and regarding DB, i'm using HeidySQL, it's good for working with querys and generates the code each time you made a change so you can learn it fast, MySQL Workbench it's another good DB program, Navicat (not so much), SQLyog (for importing exporting whole World DB i thinks this it's the best, it's really fast and gives almost no errors)
Best Regards @Iroflu

Sounds interesting, looking forward to those monthly updates!
Hopefully the SQL Bug patcher will still be used though.

And thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Probably my bad for not wording it right, especially since I'm trying to keep this new idea a secret until it's developed, IF I can even do it. It's a Java program that's supposed to make running the server locally a bit easier. It'll be free as well, not limited to just VIP.

LKarthas

Senior User
Superior Member
Sounds interesting, looking forward to those monthly updates!
Hopefully the SQL Bug patcher will still be used though.

And thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Probably my bad for not wording it right, especially since I'm trying to keep this new idea a secret until it's developed, IF I can even do it. It's a Java program that's supposed to make running the server locally a bit easier. It'll be free as well, not limited to just VIP.
well i have understanding that Netbeans are able to develop Java programs, you can dig it by google ;)

expat

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I love that you can see the SQL used. Really might inspire me to get into coming up with my own fixes.