Cannot stream required archive data.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
[Solved] Cannot stream required archive data.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here? All my clients suddenly have this error and won't load. I have 2 Mac clients and 1 Win7 client. All three "suddenly" generate this same error and won't load.

>> Cannot stream required archive data. Please check the network connection.

I googled this and tried the resultant suggestions, but they did not fix the problem.

It's curious to me, as I have realmlist on all clients set to local static LAN server IP:
set realmlist 192.168.1.195
set patchlist 192.168.1.195

This doesn't act like a network issue, no other lan issues except for this...

Any ideas? Are my clients broken maybe? Does Blizzard set an expiration date on client files? Haha... yikes!

Last edited:

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Does this sound familiar to anyone here? All my clients suddenly have this error and won't load. I have 2 Mac clients and 1 Win7 client. All three "suddenly" generate this same error and won't load.

>> Cannot stream required archive data. Please check the network connection.

I googled this and tried the resultant suggestions, but they did not fix the problem.

It's curious to me, as I have realmlist on all clients set to local static LAN server IP:
set realmlist 192.168.1.195
set patchlist 192.168.1.195

This doesn't act like a network issue, no other lan issues except for this...

Any ideas? Are my clients broken maybe? Does Blizzard set an expiration date on client files? Haha... yikes!

Try re-downloading the clients maybe? I haven't seen this error before.
I don't think it's an "expiration date" on the clients. Maybe try the clients on a different pc if possible.

I would recommend having backups of each client so as to help against issues like these. I have all my clients, amongst other things, on an external hdd, whenever I need the client again I just take it off. If there's any issue, just delete the current one and copy it on to my pc again.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Try re-downloading the clients maybe? I haven't seen this error before.
I don't think it's an "expiration date" on the clients. Maybe try the clients on a different pc if possible.

I would recommend having backups of each client so as to help against issues like these. I have all my clients, amongst other things, on an external hdd, whenever I need the client again I just take it off. If there's any issue, just delete the current one and copy it on to my pc again.

Hi thanks for the recommend. I do have both Mac and Windows client backups on my NAS, and I tried recopying to my primary Mac. Sadly, I get the same error with the 'new' copy as well. :(
I simply can't connect to the server. Although... I haven't tried rebooting the physical server yet... But honestly, the client should load regardless of there being a server or not. I have reboot the clients though, and flushed dns. Maybe renew client IP. Maybe something in the client IP stacks are messed up; strange it would happen to all three clients at the same time though.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Hi thanks for the recommend. I do have both Mac and Windows client backups on my NAS, and I tried recopying to my primary Mac. Sadly, I get the same error with the 'new' copy as well. :(
I simply can't connect to the server. Although... I haven't tried rebooting the physical server yet... But honestly, the client should load regardless of there being a server or not. I have reboot the clients though, and flushed dns. Maybe renew client IP. Maybe something in the client IP stacks are messed up; strange it would happen to all three clients at the same time though.

Is there any way to try it on a new PC? It definitely shouldn't be related to the server, as long as it's only the client crashing before being able to log in.
Is there any new update to your pc or drivers or new software you've installed on your pc recently? If no, then my only solutions would be:
1) Try on a new pc, get a friend or someone if no other pc/laptop is available, just to troubleshoot if it's clients or PC related.
2) Maybe set realmlist to 127.0.0.1 - Likely wont change anything but, troubleshooting I guess.
3) Turn off all anti-virus. Firewall and regular AV. It's possible it's blocking something, or deleting something upon copying a new client, along with the original client. Turn off all AV, then copy a brand new copy of the client over to a new location, or just rename it to something else before copying it over.

If all else fails, then I would suggest attempting to get a new client. I don't think a new client would fix it considering all 3 clients have the error message now, but who knows. Maybe the AV, if thats the problem, deleting something in the original copies, if it has access to the originals.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Is there any way to try it on a new PC? It definitely shouldn't be related to the server, as long as it's only the client crashing before being able to log in.
Is there any new update to your pc or drivers or new software you've installed on your pc recently? If no, then my only solutions would be:
1) Try on a new pc, get a friend or someone if no other pc/laptop is available, just to troubleshoot if it's clients or PC related.
2) Maybe set realmlist to 127.0.0.1 - Likely wont change anything but, troubleshooting I guess.
3) Turn off all anti-virus. Firewall and regular AV. It's possible it's blocking something, or deleting something upon copying a new client, along with the original client. Turn off all AV, then copy a brand new copy of the client over to a new location, or just rename it to something else before copying it over.

If all else fails, then I would suggest attempting to get a new client. I don't think a new client would fix it considering all 3 clients have the error message now, but who knows. Maybe the AV, if thats the problem, deleting something in the original copies, if it has access to the originals.
Thanks Mr.S, somehow I got the Windows client working, I copied some but not all files from my backup client into my running copy. Something took. However, still same issue with Mac clients. It really must be a client issue, nothing has changed on server and since Windows is working again, the server is just running great as always.
Paste your wow.mfil contents (if exist)
I'm actually surprised at what's inside this file. And it's different from Windows and Mac clients.

Mac:
version=2
server=akamai
location=http://ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/EU/15050.direct/
manifest_partial=wow-15595-0C3502F50D17376754B9E9CB0109F4C5.mfil

Windows:
version=2
server=akamai
location=http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/EU/15890.direct/
server=limelight
location=http://llnw.blizzard.com/wow-pod-retail/EU/15890.direct/
manifest_partial=wow-16016-3C226D76BC5E6790A8BC58A1281295A8.mfil

Why would Windows be working now though, and not Mac?
And can these be deleted and still the client work? (idea)
-> nope, copying the Win7 version to Mac didn't change launching client, nor did deleting mfil and tfil :(

Last edited:

Jack Sparrow

Gold Supporter
Senior User
http://ak.worldofwarcraft.com.edges...U/15050.direct/Data/wow-update-base-15595.MPQ
http://llnw.blizzard.com/wow-pod-retail/NA/15890.direct/Data/wow-update-base-15595.MPQ

seems blizz removed cata CDN, how sad, but it was only a matter of time.

MoP Still seems to be fine
http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/NA/15890.direct/Data/wow-update-base-18273.MPQ

Actually seems cata is still up at this cdn
http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/NA/15050.direct/Data/wow-update-base-15595.MPQ

replace your wow.mfil with this one

Code:
version=2
server=akamai
	location=http://dist.blizzard.com.edgesuite.net/wow-pod-retail/NA/15050.direct/
server=limelight
	location=http://llnw.blizzard.com/wow-pod-retail/NA/15050.direct/
manifest_partial=wow-18414-447E3E618F731CCBF4F7D2C4E56C5644.mfil

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I don't think it worked. I replaced the text of wow.mfil with this data, saved and ran, and still get same error.

Last login: Thu Jan 10 20:25:43 on ttys000
Cracked-iMac:~ username$ /Users/username/Desktop/World\ of\ Warcraft\ -\ Cataclysm\ 4.3.4\ \(15595\)\ Mac/World\ of\ Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World\ of\ Warcraft
New VideoCard: vendorID=0x8086 deviceID=0x1622
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.60.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-1.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-2.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-3.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/SoundCache-0.MPQ opened
archive Data/Cache/enGB/SoundCache-enGB.MPQ opened

... and that's when we get the msg popup. Screen Shot 2019-01-10 at 10.27.22 PM.png

Jack Sparrow

Gold Supporter
Senior User
not sure about mac, but if your client is full client on windows you can remove wow.mfil check (ill post exe and how to do it urself later)

Kezra827

Verified Member
So, I was able to get a working client. I tried everything I found online to try to fix the error but nothing was working. I ended up just downloading a different Cata client. I think the original I was using was a Run & Play from MonsterWow's site, but the new one is from Wowmortal's site. The WoW.mfil files do appear to be different for each of those clients. Not sure if that helps any, but that's what I did.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
not sure about mac, but if your client is full client on windows you can remove wow.mfil check (ill post exe and how to do it urself later)
That would be great thanks. I know you are full-on busy with repacks, so I hugely appreciate any cycles you can extend to help. :)
So, I was able to get a working client. I tried everything I found online to try to fix the error but nothing was working. I ended up just downloading a different Cata client. I think the original I was using was a Run & Play from MonsterWow's site, but the new one is from Wowmortal's site. The WoW.mfil files do appear to be different for each of those clients. Not sure if that helps any, but that's what I did.
I can give this a try tonight maybe. I'll google wowmortal for a client.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I never realized the client still made a call out to blizzard like this. Is there a way to circumvent this or emulate the blizzard service (if that's what it is)?

Jack Sparrow

Gold Supporter
Senior User
Yes but it would require a lot of money (due to lots of data 20 GB per each person who downloads the client!).

But you can make a private one, by hosting the MPQ on some server and changing your hosts file in windows, or editing the client. I did something similar in mop

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Yes but it would require a lot of money (due to lots of data 20 GB per each person who downloads the client!).

But you can make a private one, by hosting the MPQ on some server and changing your hosts file in windows, or editing the client. I did something similar in mop
Personally I like that idea, I like keeping everything on my LAN. How-to? /grin
Ok I can't even get a client working o_O.. But if you have a full client here's an exe

https://mega.nz/#!kA1UwSoL!qRkRuES_nfIZGdMWxeUIdgyKjmmVXnOTHAkYOx3r-jE

And the patcher

https://mega.nz/#!4U0wnI5D!RFBHs6VMT6C9gX4PIr1VldaW1NZTWdBZELHTDHWFpks

I don't have a solution for mac atm
I'll keep these nearby in case my Windows client breaks again! Now for our 2 Mac clients.
Maybe we'll migrate to MoP when you debut the prize! :) Of course, then I'll have to learn how to migrate characters! Haha, so much to learn. Good thing it's fun!
Thanks for helping Jack Sparrow

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Answered.

Well, my Mac clients are now working. I replaced all the *.MPQ files in the Data folder, as well as the whole enGB directory with copies from my windows client.
I don't know why that worked except perhaps some of the .MPQ files corrupted.

Discovery: before the error msg it stops on a file, world.MPQ. So I first replaced that one file, and realized it would load past that file the next time. So I replaced the next, then another, so I just replaced them all instead of being ... precise.

So if you have a Mac client due to the same issue as this, try copying the Data folder from a working client and try again. Very strange, but it worked for me. Good luck.

I don't know how to prevent this from happening again, or how to stop the client from calling home (Blizzard).

Edit: spelling.

Last edited: