64-bit clients

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Hi folks,
It's been a while! Nice to be back! Recently my iMac was updated to MacOS Catalina 10.15. Since then I get this error when launching the Mac Cataclysm client: World of Warcraft: Bad CPU type in executable

10.15 dropped support for 32-bit apps, so I suppose this makes sense. But when I run a 64-bit client, I can get logged into the 4.3.4 server, but not a single NPC to be found... the world appears simply empty. Same server from my 32-bit client on Linux, and I see all NPC's and it's business as usual.
Any thoughts? Or any tips on a valid 64-bit client? Oh, the 64-bit I'm using is one I had on my NAS from way back and I don't remember where it came from (sorry).
- Is there maybe somewhere in the server that needs to be changed to support 64-bit?

Thanks!
Aes

JohnTrave

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Veteran Member
From what I know, there's no need for a 64-bit client for any version of wow, since it's almost impossible to have the game exceed 4GB RAM usage. From what I remember, Cata and MoP clients never used more than 1GB.
Maybe in very last expansions it can be useful, but you'll still probably need tons of addons installed to justify a 4GB RAM usage

Last edited:

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I have 64-bit native mac client, and it loads the game, but I can't see NPC's. It's strange. I had hoped maybe there was a switch in the server or database that would help.
So then maybe a native mac client won't be possible any more. So the options as I see them are to revert to previous OS, or run a Windows client through 'Wine'.
I was hoping for native mac 64-bit client to work, but oh well.

Aescleal

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Sorry, I must change that last comment. There looks like only ONE choice left, if the 64-bit native Mac client doesn't work in EmuCoach repack. /shrug. It's still worth reverting to previous OS!
I 'was' running a 32-bit windows client via Wine on this iMac, but since Catalina has put a nail in the 32-bit coffin, the OS no longer supports 32-bit application support for anything... Wine is 32-bit. So, Wine doesn't run the windows client any more at all. And if the 64-bit native Mac client can't show the NPCs, then it's a reinstall for this iMac so I can revert to Mojave. :(
Leason's learned. Don't upgrade to Catalina... yet.