Wow Server on Internal IP can log in but can't join Realm?

CraigShaw

Veteran Member
Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to set up a private LAN server on an internal network without an internet connection (so can't use options that require the internet such as DNS). Everything needs to be locally controlled.

I've tried this is various different Repacks (Dev Apex MoP, EmuCoach Cataclysm to name two), but always get the same result.

Everything installs fine. The SQL database runs, authserver.exe and worldserver.exe run without issues.
I changed the realmlist in WTF/config.wtf (or enGB/realmlist.wtf for Cataclysm) to my internal IP: 192.168.8.100.

The clients start perfectly and I'm able to log in and play provided the client is running on the machine that is also running the server.

However, if I run the client from a different PC on the network (with realmlist pointing to 192.168.8.100), I can log in to the server - but then I get stuck on the select realm window. The realm shows but when clicking okay to join, it doesn't actually join the realm and just stays on the realm list. (So, I'm able to log into the server but can't actually join the realm to play when using another computer on the LAN.)

I've search Google and the forums here and the only solution I can find is to edit the table in the auth database and set the address to the internal IP. (The other solution relies on using a DNS but I'm trying to get the server working locally without needing the internet.)

However, even after setting the IP in the auth database to 192.168.8.100 (using HeidiSQL and then restarting MySQL), the clients on the network still can only log in but can't actually join the realm to play.

Is anyone able to help? Does anyone have a guide for setting this up on a LAN without having to connect to the internet and use DNS?

As far as I know, port forwarding shouldn't be neccessary (though I have set it up) on a local network and I've never had to port forward for any other LAN servers for other games - only when making them public and using a public IP.

I'm really at a loss on how to get the LAN clients to join the realm. Help getting this working would be deeply appreciated.

I am having the exact issue. I have spent countless hours trying different variables before posting this, but I am at a loss. My only comment is it seems like the Realm is joining, but the server is not? I could be confused though in the terminology. Running _Server - EmuCoach Version v13.1 Gold - VIP with Solo release.

I have tried just about every guide out there ... granted one piece I think I missed in some of the testing was clearing out the WTF and Cache folder from the the WOW client. After each test cycle everything was shutdown and brought back up (mysql, apache, auth, and world).

I also setup DAC IP to create a DNS name on the internet. Updated the DB (using public IP and FQDN different tests), host file entries (and without). Updating all of the config files and leaving everything localhost on the server.

Nothing seems to work? Also, there does not seem to be much logging. Actually, almost none outside of the client? I think I setup apache, auth and worldserver with logging correctly, but maybe not. I also tried changing the ports as per this guide with no success either: https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/wo...-mangos-trinity-server-public-easy-guide.html

https://www.portchecktool.com/ shows that my ports are open and that makes sense since I can connect to the realm. I said screw it and throw my VM hosting the server in the DMZ.

Success! I can see your service on x.x.x.x on port (8085)
Your ISP/Router/Firewall is not blocking port 8085.

3/1 18:47:56.106 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_CONNECTING result: LOGIN_OK
3/1 18:47:56.106 GRUNT: state: RESPONSE_CONNECTED result: LOGIN_OK x.x.x.x:3724
3/1 18:47:56.204 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_AUTHENTICATING result: LOGIN_OK
3/1 18:47:56.220 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_CHECKINGVERSIONS result: LOGIN_OK
3/1 18:47:56.279 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_HANDSHAKING result: LOGIN_OK
3/1 18:47:56.279 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_AUTHENTICATED result: LOGIN_OK
3/1 18:47:56.279 ClientConnection Initiating: COP_CONNECT code=CSTATUS_CONNECTING
3/1 18:47:56.397 ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=REALM_LIST_REALM_NOT_FOUND result=FALSE
3/1 18:47:58.149 ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=RESPONSE_CANCELLED result=FALSE
3/1 18:47:58.149 ClientConnection Initiating: COP_CONNECT code=CSTATUS_CONNECTING
3/1 18:48:00.206 ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=RESPONSE_FAILED_TO_CONNECT result=FALSE
3/1 18:48:01.934 ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=RESPONSE_CANCELLED result=FALSE
3/1 18:48:01.934 ClientConnection Initiating: COP_CONNECT code=CSTATUS_CONNECTING
3/1 18:48:03.976 ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=RESPONSE_FAILED_TO_CONNECT result=FALSE
3/1 18:48:04.447 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_DISCONNECTED result: LOGIN_OK

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
So, I wanted to bump this since I was curious if anyone else has seen this and potentially had a workaround?

I have tried hosting the server on a windows 7 system, but all of the wow clients are on win10. Thank you EXO for helping with a new license, but unfortunately, the same issue still exists.

I also posted more details on the discord support chat since I am at a loss and I really want to play with other people in my house.

Thanks in advance!

CraigShaw

Veteran Member
Still have no idea what is causing this. So far, these are the repacks I've tried to get a LAN working with:

* Emucoach Cata Free
* Emucoach Cata VIP
* Emucoach Legion
* Emucoach MoP
* Emucoach WoTLC
* Light Hope's Vanilla
* Dev Apex Team MoP

I've scoured the internet looking for a solution but nothing works. I've made sure the address is changed in the database. I've fresh reloaded the database and also tried editing it once the server is running and reloading the worldserver (reload all). I've tried a different router thinking maybe it was a port forwarding issue (though you shouldn't need port forwarding for a LAN).

Problem still persists and is exactly the same for every repack I've tried...

Luminari

Trial Member
I'm having a very similar issue, only I'm running on Windows 10 and my server DOES work on a LAN.

I'm having the same symptoms described above when I try to connect to the server via the internet.

I've set up port-forwarding and I can telnet into all my server ports correctly. That includes authserver.exe, worldserver.exe, and the remote console.

When I try to login over the internet, I get the message saying "Success!" But then nothing happens for a while and it brings up a realm listing.

When I select a realm and click "Okay", it says "logging in" for a while, then it takes me back to the same realm listing again.

This is really strange because I can successfully login to my server via other PC's on my own LAN just fine, but not over the internet. I'm not using DNS, just my own IP address.

I have correctly setup the config files, subnet, IP addresses, ports, and everything else I can think of. I've set the options in both the config files as well as the MySQL database.

Anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this? Maybe there's a config option we're missing somewhere or something?

Elvenlover

Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Verified Member
So, i know the main problem in this topic is a bit "older", but if you want to host a server for your homemates over LAN, i can highly recommend "Hamachi". As far as i am aware, hamachi should work without internet connection, but it connects every PC in LAN range. Bind the server to the hamachi IP and everyone else should be able to join.

To the other problem, with stuck in logging in, i remember having that issue some years ago in TBC and older WOTLK repacks. I know it shouldn't affect anything of that, however i remember setting the "MaxPingTime" option in both world and authserver configs from 30 to 90. I know it alters the keepAlive request to the MySQL server, however i'm quite sure to remember, that we used that back in the days to fix a similar problem.

Otherwise you could try decrease the "RealmsStateUpdateDelay" in authserver config.

Else you could try to change the servers port and realmserver TCP port to something else.

Luminari

Trial Member
So, i know the main problem in this topic is a bit "older", but if you want to host a server for your homemates over LAN, i can highly recommend "Hamachi". As far as i am aware, hamachi should work without internet connection, but it connects every PC in LAN range. Bind the server to the hamachi IP and everyone else should be able to join.

To the other problem, with stuck in logging in, i remember having that issue some years ago in TBC and older WOTLK repacks. I know it shouldn't affect anything of that, however i remember setting the "MaxPingTime" option in both world and authserver configs from 30 to 90. I know it alters the keepAlive request to the MySQL server, however i'm quite sure to remember, that we used that back in the days to fix a similar problem.

Otherwise you could try decrease the "RealmsStateUpdateDelay" in authserver config.

Else you could try to change the servers port and realmserver TCP port to something else.

Thanks so much for your input! I was hoping this would resolve the problem, but it seems like we're still in a pickle.

I tried changing MaxPingTime from 30 to 90 in both config files as you suggested, but still no luck.

I also changed RealmsStateUpdateDelay from 20 to 1, but this also didn't help.

The issue remained the same as before, it just says "Success!", then the realm listing, then "Logging into game server", and then the realm listing again.

I previously changed both TCP ports of my world and realm servers, but this didn't help either.

JakeSpeed

Verified Member
Tried changing all the settings above and still no go for me as well. Just keeps going back to the realm.

Elvenlover

Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Verified Member
Thanks so much for your input! I was hoping this would resolve the problem, but it seems like we're still in a pickle.

I tried changing MaxPingTime from 30 to 90 in both config files as you suggested, but still no luck.

I also changed RealmsStateUpdateDelay from 20 to 1, but this also didn't help.

The issue remained the same as before, it just says "Success!", then the realm listing, then "Logging into game server", and then the realm listing again.

I previously changed both TCP ports of my world and realm servers, but this didn't help either.

Hmm. The thing is, i remember having this issue, but it's quite a while ago and i can't really remember how i actually fixed that.

Another thing you could try is, start the authserver and then worldserver, let it start and if login fails, shutdown the authserver only, leave the worldserver running and restart the authserver.

Otherwise it could be something more simple, can you send me your authserver.conf and worldserver.conf? Don't forget to blur out your database login info in your configs, if you have changed it to something public.

JakeSpeed

Verified Member
mine are default nothing changed in the authserver.conf and worldserver.conf I messed around and did the above changes and then even tried to bind the ip to the lan ip.

Elvenlover

Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Verified Member
mine are default nothing changed in the authserver.conf and worldserver.conf I messed around and did the above changes and then even tried to bind the ip to the lan ip.

Don't forget to change the server ip in your mysql database. In the auth table under "realmlist" you have to change "address" to the ip, the server is running on. Not sure if you have to change "localAdress" aswell, though, but i don't think so.

Also reading that some people have this issue with every repack they try, it is definitly something blocking the incoming connection. If everything fails, try to turn of the firewall temporarely and connect then. Also check if your anti-virus software is blocking any incoming connections. If you have this issue with every repack, it might not be the server causing issues, it might be your firewall or generally your computer.

Luminari

Trial Member
Don't forget to change the server ip in your mysql database. In the auth table under "realmlist" you have to change "address" to the ip, the server is running on. Not sure if you have to change "localAdress" aswell, though, but i don't think so.

Also reading that some people have this issue with every repack they try, it is definitly something blocking the incoming connection. If everything fails, try to turn of the firewall temporarely and connect then. Also check if your anti-virus software is blocking any incoming connections. If you have this issue with every repack, it might not be the server causing issues, it might be your firewall or generally your computer.

Wow, thank you! That actually worked. I updated the address field in the emucoach-auth database, under the realmlist table, and it worked! I changed it from my local LAN IP address (i.e., 192.168.x.x) to my internet IP address. I didn't modify the localAddress field, and left it as my LAN IP address. I can't believe it actually worked! Such a simple thing, never thought to do it.

When I logged in via the internet, it actually logged me in this time and I didn't get stuck at the realm listing (the realm listing didn't even show up).

The only thing I have to consider now is that my ISP will probably change my IP address pretty frequently, so I'm going to need to update this database cell pretty often. Does anyone know of a script or other program to automatically update a value in a MySQL database on Windows periodically (like a cronjob)? If not, I'll make one myself, but it'd be nice if one already exists.

Thanks again!

Luminari

Trial Member

Yes, my config files were pretty much default as well; the only thing I changed was MaxPingTime and RealmsStateUpdateDelay, as suggested, and also BindIP. I think everything else was stock defaults. The only other thing I fiddled with was the port numbers, but I later changed those back to defaults as well as a sanity check, to make sure my issue wasn't the port numbers being blocked. So it seems like the config files weren't the issue (for me, at least).

Elvenlover

Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Verified Member
Wow, thank you! That actually worked. I updated the address field in the emucoach-auth database, under the realmlist table, and it worked! I changed it from my local LAN IP address (i.e., 192.168.x.x) to my internet IP address. I didn't modify the localAddress field, and left it as my LAN IP address. I can't believe it actually worked! Such a simple thing, never thought to do it.

When I logged in via the internet, it actually logged me in this time and I didn't get stuck at the realm listing (the realm listing didn't even show up).

The only thing I have to consider now is that my ISP will probably change my IP address pretty frequently, so I'm going to need to update this database cell pretty often. Does anyone know of a script or other program to automatically update a value in a MySQL database on Windows periodically (like a cronjob)? If not, I'll make one myself, but it'd be nice if one already exists.

Thanks again!

Glad that this worked for you. Can't help on your auto-change thing tho.

BTW changing MaxPingTime shouldn't really affect the problem. It was just something, that i remember from some years ago. From my understanding it just alters the time for the server to ping the mysql connection, to keep it alive. Might wanna put that back to 30, it could cause issues.

Luminari

Trial Member
Glad that this worked for you. Can't help on your auto-change thing tho.

Okay, thanks anyway. I'll try to write my own script to do this.

BTW changing MaxPingTime shouldn't really affect the problem. It was just something, that i remember from some years ago. From my understanding it just alters the time for the server to ping the mysql connection, to keep it alive. Might wanna put that back to 30, it could cause issues.

Thanks for letting me know that. I'll probably go ahead and change it back to avoid any additional squirrelliness.

meatsack

Trial Member
Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help. I'm trying to set up a private LAN server on an internal network without an internet connection (so can't use options that require the internet such as DNS). Everything needs to be locally controlled.

I've tried this is various different Repacks (Dev Apex MoP, EmuCoach Cataclysm to name two), but always get the same result.

Everything installs fine. The SQL database runs, authserver.exe and worldserver.exe run without issues.
I changed the realmlist in WTF/config.wtf (or enGB/realmlist.wtf for Cataclysm) to my internal IP: 192.168.8.100.

The clients start perfectly and I'm able to log in and play provided the client is running on the machine that is also running the server.

However, if I run the client from a different PC on the network (with realmlist pointing to 192.168.8.100), I can log in to the server - but then I get stuck on the select realm window. The realm shows but when clicking okay to join, it doesn't actually join the realm and just stays on the realm list. (So, I'm able to log into the server but can't actually join the realm to play when using another computer on the LAN.)

I've search Google and the forums here and the only solution I can find is to edit the table in the auth database and set the address to the internal IP. (The other solution relies on using a DNS but I'm trying to get the server working locally without needing the internet.)

However, even after setting the IP in the auth database to 192.168.8.100 (using HeidiSQL and then restarting MySQL), the clients on the network still can only log in but can't actually join the realm to play.

Is anyone able to help? Does anyone have a guide for setting this up on a LAN without having to connect to the internet and use DNS?

As far as I know, port forwarding shouldn't be neccessary (though I have set it up) on a local network and I've never had to port forward for any other LAN servers for other games - only when making them public and using a public IP.

I'm really at a loss on how to get the LAN clients to join the realm. Help getting this working would be deeply appreciated.
To everyone, I had a very similar issue I spent hours trying to fix. Turns out, what I really needed was a guide to HeidiSQL, hope this helps someone else!

minutor34

Trial Member
To everyone, I had a very similar issue I spent hours trying to fix. Turns out, what I really needed was a guide to HeidiSQL, hope this helps someone else!

Wow man that really saved my ass, appreciate it

MelinaSimpson

Trial Member
For me, it seems unusual that you can log in but can't join the realm from a different PC on the LAN. Since you're avoiding the internet and DNS, it's a bit trickier, but you're on the right track by editing the table in the auth database. Double-check that you've got the correct IP settings there.
You mentioned port forwarding, and you're right that it's usually not necessary on a local network. Still, it might be worth verifying that everything is configured correctly in your router settings, just in case.
If you're still stuck, here's a suggestion. You could explore DarkVR, which is an advanced IP booter panel. It could provide some insights or tools for troubleshooting.

Last edited: