What's new

[SUGGESTION]Make MoP and Cataclysm work under one hood

MyTurn

Veteran User
Reaction score
Basically as the title says, we have one database running both world and auth servers.
Possibly make this a VIP feature (??)

For instance, our server team wants both MoP and Cataclysm to work.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
Basically as the title says, we have one database running both world and auth servers.

Sorry for the late reply but,
I'm not too sure what you mean?
If you mean under the same MySQL server, I don't think that's a good idea as it would probably be resource demanding. It would probably be very laggy for both Cata and MoP players, and would take some rework in both the sources to get it be compatible.
It's best to just run 2 servers, preferably on different systems, but at least separate. You can change the port of 1 of the MySQL servers so they can both be ran at the same time.

MyTurn

Veteran User
Reaction score
I heard differently somewhere else, but unfortunately can't find the source of it anymore.
A commenter explained how to do it by adding the value of what's missing in one pack, and thus you can make 2 different expansions run on one auth server.

It's been a year since I found that thread, so I don't really recall what I had to do specifically. But there were some steps to it.

Lingx

Super User
Super User
Reaction score
I heard differently somewhere else, but unfortunately can't find the source of it anymore.
A commenter explained how to do it by adding the value of what's missing in one pack, and thus you can make 2 different expansions run on one auth server.

It's been a year since I found that thread, so I don't really recall what I had to do specifically. But there were some steps to it.

Some digging around led me to this thread: http://www.ac-web.org/forums/showthread.php?228411-Multiple-expansions-1-Auth-server

Sounds like the thread you’re mentioning :good:

privateserverfan

Reaction score
very interesting idea... if it doesn't use too much resources like anticipated let me know...

friencl

Reaction score

Please correct me if I am wrong:
Do you mean that you want to combine the databases of auth servers with different versions to the same database so that players from different game servers can login with their unique account? This is possible if you can ensure that their table structures are same and the current usernames are completely not repeated.

tagban

Reaction score
I mean, as long as all identical IDs are the same item, npc, monster, etc. It should work? But as said above, you're going to make the SQL server work twice as hard. THe suggestion of putting it on more than 1 system is ideal. I run an FFXI server and also run a SWG server, which the SWG server pings the Database more than FFXI surprisingly.

But I also run it on a heavy duty gaming rig with 64gb ram and unlocked Core i7.