Release Requirement ( Suggestion )

OMGhixD

Gold Supporter
Epic Member
So i myself believe that this place will become more safe to use for members IF there were a virus scan REQUIRED TO release content.

This way we can stop claims that we are to be blamed etc etc Y'all know the deal

So for example, If i wanted to share my google chrome for everyone i would have to do a virustotal scan before i can post it, So a moderator would have to check through it before it get's posted public

https://www.virustotal.com/en/

This site offers up to 54 scans from various amount of anti-viruses, They are not 100% bulletproof as i may say it. But it for sure is better than nothing?

let's see. I'll scan my google chrome.exe

Results https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...9d0e1442e93108746c289e6172fdc0d2d24/analysis/

Notice that you may only do a scan within the space of 128mb so it's pointless to virsus scan repacks etc

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
I believe I've suggested this before somewhere, but it was amongst many other suggestions, so I didn't go into detail about it.
Basically, I completely agree with this.

However, that low file size could get in the way of bigger releases.

Another virus scanning website, one that allows 140mb, but only offers 43 different scans, which is still enough, in my opinion:
https://www.metadefender.com/#!/scan-file

OMGhixD

Gold Supporter
Epic Member
I believe I've suggested this before somewhere, but it was amongst many other suggestions, so I didn't go into detail about it.
Basically, I completely agree with this.

However, that low file size could get in the way of bigger releases.

Another virus scanning website, one that allows 140mb, but only offers 43 different scans, which is still enough, in my opinion:
https://www.metadefender.com/#!/scan-file

100-200mb is still a small amount of space to scan yet it's gonna become safer. So let's say that they have to virus scan the leaks releases etc only and not repack releases nor client releases, but in general all types of releases EXCEPT ( repacks, wow clients and core scripts or core related shit )

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
100-200mb is still a small amount of space to scan yet it's gonna become safer. So let's say that they have to virus scan the leaks releases etc only and not repack releases nor client releases, but in general all types of releases EXCEPT ( repacks, wow clients and core scripts or core related shit )

It'd be nice if we could have testers, people who download the files that are over the virus scan file limit and scan it themselves.
That probably wont happen until the community has gotten pretty large though.

OMGhixD

Gold Supporter
Epic Member
It'd be nice if we could have testers, people who download the files that are over the virus scan file limit and scan it themselves.
That probably wont happen until the community has gotten pretty large though.

perhaps an own rank within the staff would be suiteable for this?

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
perhaps an own rank within the staff would be suiteable for this?

Probably. I imagine it'd really only be a title. It depends on how ExO wants to handle it:
Either the Testers check the files and see if they're safe, then report to the mods who will then approve any downloads, especially attachments that are uploaded to EmuCoach. All attachments, at least in certain sections, should need to be approved by a moderator, as well, just to ensure user safety.

Or, ExO could just have mods and tell them to test the files, but personally, I think that's a little risky. Someone who tests downloads for viruses probably shouldn't have staff permissions, as they could end up losing their account to some keylogger or something if they're not careful.

I imagine a tester rank should basically just be like a VIP account, they get some special access/features to say thanks.

OMGhixD

Gold Supporter
Epic Member
Probably. I imagine it'd really only be a title. It depends on how ExO wants to handle it:
Either the Testers check the files and see if they're safe, then report to the mods who will then approve any downloads, especially attachments that are uploaded to EmuCoach. All attachments, at least in certain sections, should need to be approved by a moderator, as well, just to ensure user safety.

Or, ExO could just have mods and tell them to test the files, but personally, I think that's a little risky. Someone who tests downloads for viruses probably shouldn't have staff permissions, as they could end up losing their account to some keylogger or something if they're not careful.

I imagine a tester rank should basically just be like a VIP account, they get some special access/features to say thanks.

I've got a dedicated machine i could use for testing such files. It's got a gigabyte in download speed and 10tb hard drive space

IF ExO see it suiteable i could do that job on spare time :)

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
I've got a dedicated machine i could use for testing such files. It's got a gigabyte in download speed and 10tb hard drive space

IF ExO see it suiteable i could do that job on spare time :)

That'll be up to Ex0, if he even thinks it's necessary. I imagine he will want to do it eventually, but right now, nothing is really being uploaded/shared right now. Once the community starts picking up, I imagine it will definitely be needed.