What's new

[Server] Minecraft/Bukkit Server

Would you like to see an Official Minecraft Server?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
Out of curiousity, how many on this forum would like an Official Minecraft server?
It would probably be Bukkit or something similar, and preferably have a ton of games, such as Bed Wars, Sky Wars, Walls, etc.

Please note: Even if 100% of everyone on this forum voted yes, it is not guaranteed in any way shape or form.
This is merely a question to see what the community thinks.

Personally, I would love to see a server for EmuCoach, and I'd like to know what you all think.
Opinions/thoughts are welcome.

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
would love it! but maybe factions
That's definitely something I'd like to have in it. We need more "yes" votes in order for this to become a thing, though.
We'd also need to find people willing to build the maps, which is probably the hardest part.

eyerobot

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I never played actual minecraft, This would be a first for me. I tried some of the clone games like minetest, So I really have no idea how good real minecraft is. But I would like to try it, Especially when i get tired of fixing quests in Cata. So I hope there is a way to download the game.

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
I never played actual minecraft, This would be a first for me. I tried some of the clone games like minetest, So I really have no idea how good real minecraft is. But I would like to try it, Especially when i get tired of fixing quests in Cata. So I hope there is a way to download the game.
Personally, I'd like to allow the "modified" clients of minecraft, allowing people to play the game for free. They can play singleplayer for free, but it doesn't work on multiplayer unless you specifically allow it in the config (Only on non-official server types, like bukkit). However, this would cause an issue as all it would take is for someone with a modified client to change their name to a name of an admin, and they'd essentially have full access, due to the list of OP's, or "Operators".

As for how good the game is; It can be good for the first play-through or two, but it gets boring pretty quick. After experiencing the story, the only fun part of the game is building, the creative aspect of it.
Since I'm not very creative myself, the game isn't as fun as I'd like it to be, yet it still draws me in. I want to want to play it, if that makes sense.
That's why I like modpacks, because they offer so much more potential to the game, and it adds new experiences.

With a bukkit server, or something similar, there would hopefully be multiple ways to play the game so it's never a constant. Lets say you want to play some arcade games with other players, so you do that for a bit, have your fun, then get bored and decide to go play in survival. You'd also get something called "plots", which is basically an infinitely generated grid-like world, with sections of land, which can belong to one specific player (unless that player "invites" someone to own that plot with them) where they can build whatever they want within that limited space, and no other players can destroy it or steal any items.

Didn't mean to go into this much detail, but this is also for other people who are curious about the intentions of this server, if we decide to go forward with it.

brian8544

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Senior User
Reaction score
You could implement a login system, many plugins existed for that back in the day. No experience whatsoever with the current state of Bukkit / MC tho.

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
You could implement a login system, many plugins existed for that back in the day. No experience whatsoever with the current state of Bukkit / MC tho.
That's what I'd end up having to do. I'd prefer not to do that, but if it's my only option then I probably will use it if I can.
I don't really have any experience with bukkit since the whole copyright issue or whatever it was they had. I'd use bukkit or something similar.

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
I suggest Spigot rather than Bukkit, Spigot is more stable.

And the (www.spigotmc.org) community around it is better.
I have considered that, but I'm not sure. I might end up using 1.7.10 bukkit, thats what I know and its where a lot of my old favorite plugins worked.
I also remember when Spigot first came out, I tried setting it up and it was too different from bukkit I just couldn't be bothered. Had quite a few steps I think instead of a simple download + play.

LewisPotato

Reaction score
Spigot is exactly the same as setting up Bukkit, you can get the precompiled binaries from getbukkit.org (click spigot tab).

Methusalem

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I actually made a minecraft server & ran it through Hamachi. The stuff to start a server & run it is online if you dig hard enough, or used to be. Think I was up to v12 when I quit? But I had a LOT of textures, and had it modded heavily. I had only 3 people on it, and grew tired of it when I got sicker. You have to mod the server, and most mods need be in the clients as well to mod. itsa handfull! heh... After my hard drive fried? I lost my server (s) & never tried again. I dunno if I could even get 1 running now? lol I know it used JAVA, and .jar files. and the client went in a weird place [main drive/users/admin name/appdata/roaming, and had to be named _minecraft to work! forget why. lol. I had to set settings in server to offline in my server file, to get my clients actually online on the server. "Can't explain it now. Sorry.... heh. Also, you had to tell your client where to use JAVA files from, and adjust allowed RAM with a command promt if you had lag issues. You launched the command, it launched your jar files, etc, and allocated memory you wanted. "my server used different JAVA than the standard release, and some setting had to be increased in memory in JAVA? Something like that... I will say this. A PC minecraft world is WAYYYY bigger than ANY console version, I even had moving leaves, grass, etc. Oh, and you can actually dig through the bottom of the world completly. [the black looking bedrock IS the end of the world] It is "not locked like console versions" and is wayyyyy deeper as well. I had HUGE biomes, even planatary travel to Mars, and such? long story.... lol I.... did it out of pure curiosity? I am like a shadetree mechanic. I did it, but can't explain how. I have 0 percent programming knowledge.... lol

Last edited:

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
So, what's going on with this? You guys still doing it? I saw the vote [for a server], were pretty much maxed out. :)
Technically I did make the server, but it became only for me and my IRL friends just for a regular survival play.
I'd need a builder for the server, that'd be willing to work for free, which is pretty difficult.

Methusalem

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Technically I did make the server, but it became only for me and my IRL friends just for a regular survival play.
I'd need a builder for the server, that'd be willing to work for free, which is pretty difficult.
Yah, I imagine that would be difficult. I made a hacked server in the past, using the clients/server files shared on a web site. It ran ok after I figgured out how to get a "not legite" server online. I had to basically create a world I wanted to use. Transferr that save file to my server to launch as my world, and list it as offline in the server configuration files to actually take it online. I could get friends on by having them use the same client I did. Then used the Hamachi I use for Cataclysm servers, as my ISP blocks port forwarding on their router. I could buy a router, and maybe port forward in that manner, but not worth it for just a few friends. It was a HUGE world, but doing it in that manner restricts you to the BIOMES you chose, plus I never actually set up a server using a DNS provider either? I "probably" could get another server going, but I can't Really do the techy end. I can add mods I find that improve game effects, textures, expand items/worlds in that manner, and build in the world like everyone else can do. That's about it. I never really even figgured out how to lay out redstone power, and other things of that nature. lol

Last edited:

waste

Reaction score
I'd be down to make a minecraft server if anyone's up for it. Skyfactory 4 should be out soon. PM if you want to play it when it's here.

iRoflu

Admiral Squatbar
Staff Member
Head Mod
Gold Supporter
Heroic User
Reaction score
I'd be down to make a minecraft server if anyone's up for it. Skyfactory 4 should be out soon. PM if you want to play it when it's here.
The only thing I'm concerned about to get one started is a builder. If we get a *good* builder or 2 to volunteer then the server could be possible and I'd be open to paying for the hosting.

Jenniy

Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Supporter
Veteran User
Reaction score
I might be necroing this post a bit, but I just recently joined the emucoach community. If anyone is still around and interested in this idea, I have a bit of experience with running Minecraft servers, ( currently I'm hosting 3 of my own for a group of friends ( a 1.7.10 modded, 1.15.2 (latest version) and a bedrock server (C++, cross compatible with consoles and such)) on a server ( HP dl380p, for those who are curious) I keep in my garage.) - and I'd be willing (and eager) to help out create, configure, and even host (for a while at least) A server for the site here.z

I would consider myself a moderately good builder; I really can't do anything colossal (and tidy) in scale (I am proficient with WorldEdit) but I've been able to tackle some pretty big projects in the past - so long as I'm not the only one working on it. (I get distracted easily of I'm working on something solo)

(Sorry for the long and rambling asides; I try be as concise as I can but I also try to fill in as many details as possible.)

Atakke

Reaction score
The problem with modded Minecraft is that it just eats resources way too quickly. I would be down to assist with plugin and other basic configuarion, maybe even some building.