Connectivity issue

Strahan

Verified Member
Hello. I have a weird problem. I have a Pandaria server setup and it's working fine on my LAN. I wanted my sister to join, so I opened it to the net. I created an account for her, but she can't get in.

What I've done in my setup:

Downloaded the MoP repack and set it all up on a machine with local network IP 10.0.0.103
Edited the realmslist IP in MySQL to 10.0.0.103
Opened 3724 and 8085 on the Windows firewall on the server
Logged into my pfSense firewall and setup a NAT rule for my static IP to point TCP from 50.10.xxx.52:3274 to 10.0.0.103 and 50.10.xxx.52:8085 to 10.0.0.103
Fired up authserver and worldserver
Typed account create Missy (password)
Typed account set gmlevel Missy 3 -1

On my sisters end, she installed the MoP client then edited WTF\config.wtf and has "SET realmlist "50.10.xxx.52"
She fired up the client and put in missy and her password
When she hits enter, she gets a progress dialog that ends with "success!"
In ~10-12 seconds, it moves her to the realmlist
I see "Sylvcraft Normal Low" - not offline
She hits OK and gets "Logging into game server"
After another 10 seconds or so, it just returns her to the realmlist

I had her try my credentials, but she gets the same issue. I have 49, 51 and 52 as virtual IPs being managed by pfSense. I left 50 alone for when I have issues and need a direct line, so I ran downstairs and plugged my DL380's second NIC directly into the cable modem. Disabled the first NIC and configured the second NIC with 50.10.xxx.50. So it's now directly connected to the internet. Tried again, no dice. I then setup a Windows firewall rule to allow ports 1 through 65535, basically opening up everything and that changed nothing.

Any idea what I should be checking next?

PrivateDonut

Veteran Member
Is your sister in the same house or connecting from another location?
Is IP 50.10.xxx.52 a local IP or a public IP? If it is a local IP, and she's connecting from an outside location, then she'll need your public IP address.

Firewall wise, you should only be required to open port 8085(World Server) and 3724(Auth Server)

Strahan

Verified Member
She's in another location. The 50 IP is a public static IP. Thanks for confirming the ports, I don't like poking unnecessary holes in the firewall. Hmmmm that's weird. I can't fathom what is the issue. I use pfSense firewall, and it's setup to allow those:

6HuMLWt.png

I also made sure Windows allows it in:

2MyelwX.png

I know the ISP doesn't block the ports because I used to run a Mangos WotLK server and it worked great. I guess it's a non issue as she can connect to my network via OpenVPN and play direct to the 10.0.0.103 internal IP but it does kinda suck I cannot invite any friends. At least, any I don't trust with VPN access. I wish I knew more about pfSense so I could restrict certain VPN users to only access one IP on my network, but then, I cannot imagine friends want to have to install the OpenVPN client just to play WoW lol.

PrivateDonut

Veteran Member
Oh I just thought of it, did you change the realmlist inside the database? Auth->realmlist, by default it is 127.0.0.1 or maybe a local IP if you changed it. This should be your public IP address, so it can be connected to via outside connection (if you didn't change it, that is).

Strahan

Verified Member
Ahhh. I have it set as the local internal IP, as I assumed it was related to binding. I'll try that, thanks!

Strahan

Verified Member
Yup, that was it :) I set the realmlist IP to the public 50 IP and everything was golden. Well.. eventually. Setting the 50 IP fixed it for my sister, but broke it for me as I'm within the NAT'd network. Thankfully pfSense has a pure NAT configuration option that allows for NAT reflection, so I enabled that and then was able to use my public IP for internal access so finally we both can now play direct, no VPN.

Thanks a lot for the help, appreciate it!