Classic WoW against Private Servers?

znzz

Silver Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
So with Classic WoW coming up from Blizzard (End of august), I'm wondering how Private Servers will be.

Do you think Classic WoW will kill private servers or do you think they will actually get the Private Servers more players?

Personally I think for a couple of months, private servers will have their population decreased quite a lot, but then the players of private servers will return to Pservers and that will result pservers in getting even more players because more people got aware of private servers due to Classic WoW. I'm just guessing here, but I guess it will mainly be Cataclysm / MOP / WOTLK / TBC private servers that will succeed.

Am I right or wrong?

Magicbus

Verified Member
I don't think Classic WoW will impact the private server community that much for the main reason that private servers will still remain a free option to people who do not want to pay a monthly sub. In the end, people who are playing WOTLK, TBC, CATA, and MOP still won't be getting the experience that they enjoy.

Elvarion

Silver Supporter
Veteran Member
Bringing back Classic will just help us Sniff more data for quests/mechanics etc etc~ that are not working for Vanilla Repacks ;)
But for your question, No I dont think it will will make any major impact what so ever on private servers.

tagban

Verified Member
Blizzard made a huge mistake with Classic WoW. If they actually wanted to stop classic private servers, they would either A) Sell Classic WoW as a one-time download for NON-WOW Subscribers. or B ) charge a very low monthly fee like $2 for access to it without active WoW Subscription. Until they do one of those things there will always be a need and desire for private WoW servers in the vanilla realm.

ExO

Admin
Blizzard made a huge mistake with Classic WoW. If they actually wanted to stop classic private servers, they would either A) Sell Classic WoW as a one-time download for NON-WOW Subscribers. or B ) charge a very low monthly fee like $2 for access to it without active WoW Subscription. Until they do one of those things there will always be a need and desire for private WoW servers in the vanilla realm.

Hehe yeah, I honestly don't think it will kill Private Servers. Instead, Private Servers will have less attention for a couple of months during the hyped time of Classic, but once the hype is killed, I believe P-servers will just get even more attention.

Mr. Satan

Admiral Squatbar
Mythical User
Head Moderator
Gold Supporter
MoP Premium
Superior Member
Hehe yeah, I honestly don't think it will kill Private Servers. Instead, Private Servers will have less attention for a couple of months during the hyped time of Classic, but once the hype is killed, I believe P-servers will just get even more attention.

The big thing about private servers, is that it's free (typically). Who can argue with free WoW, past level 20?
Also private servers aren't owned by Blizzard, which for some people is also enough.

Pox

Verified Member
there will always be server up even if classic is coming out. Like private server that is a fun server or slightly modified server. Like me, I pref having like 10x server or something more so it doesn't take 1 month to get to max level cus don't wanna waste all that time.

tagban

Verified Member
I'm all about private servers because some owners get super creative, and when you REALLY should only be tweaking SQL, (some developers modify code so frequently it breaks any custom stuff you make), it takes a lot. On my XI server, I modded the christmas decorations to appear in other places, to essentially build a structure in the middle of the water. Was tons of fun.

Chilo357

Verified Member
Think people will stick with the private servers. There are a few 1.12 servers out there that are just as good as WOW Classic and FTP

zarovavelilya

Verified Member
Some people dont want spend their money on PC games! I don't think that the Blizzard Classic WoW kill the private servers.

RGLBasedSolution

Verified Member
I'm relatively new to the private server and am currently looking into starting one for my own. This mainly comes from a financial/time reason, as I do not play enough to justify the expense but still want to hop on when I want to. I figure this move was an attempt to bring people back more than anything, I do not think it will burden the private community.