Changing Spells on Mobs

orangefire

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
Hello!

I set up the 4.3.4 repack and have been getting into editing the database and such. I've been able to figure out most of it on my own. I can't, however, seem to figure out how to switch what spells a creature uses. There's an entry under creatures to assign spells, in theory at least, but a lot of mobs with spells don't have anything listed there, and changing it, even for things that have listings, seems to effect absolutely nothing in the game. I'm guessing maybe Blizzard changed how this was handled at some point?

From what I've been able to find, most stuff with spells is handled in the DBCs, so I figured out how to get those open. The problem is I still can't find where creatures' spells are assigned. There's a CreatureSpellData.dbc but none of the numbers seem to line up to creature IDs and spell IDs. I looked through the other spell/creature DBCs but I'm not seeing anything fitting in any of those either.

I'm not really sure what to try next at this point.

orangefire

Gold Supporter
Veteran Member
I may have figured this out. It seems like spellcasting is handled in the smart_scripts section of the database? I still need to actually try some stuff and see if it works though, feel free to let me know if I'm on the wrong track.

Edit: Well, dungeon mobs seem to not be doing what I want them to still, but I did get an open world mob to cast a spell, so progress? I probably just need to play around with it more to figure out why dungeon mobs aren't behaving, and how to get things to use different spells in different difficulties.

Last edited: