Close

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I count on Linux for my daily computing

If not for Linux I would have given up on computing a long time ago. Windows is such a pain to work with. I remember in high school my librarian, I asked for Windows 3.1 disks, and he instead gave me Red Hat Linux 4 floppy disks. I needed to restore an old 386 I had, I was a kid who couldn't afford a fancy Pentium 60 machine. I remember looking on as Pentium 2 debuted then Pentium 3... I had built computer after computer in school, our lab ran on Linux. The rest of the world chugged along on Windows 95 then 98, and 98se. I never understood why people chose to stay on an OS that constantly crashed and got viruses. What did people see in Windows? I stayed happily on Linux, sure it had it's drawbacks but they never really bothered me. When you know how to do something it just becomes something you do. Build ncurses, make, make install, build gentree. It was just something you did and it took less time than installing Windows. I would configure the kernel just as you endlessly searched for drivers. It was just my way of doing things. I would write the lilo config file, and install xorg and cde or gnome or kde, whichever was the leading desktop. All this would happen quickly in about 25 minutes on something like a 300mhz computer. I remember hearing about how Windows took over an hour to install and would sometimes crash, leaving users scratching their head in wonder. I would giggle to myself wondering why a company would want to keep it's users in the dark like that. Like I said Linux had it's fair share of issues, but if I, a 10th grader, could figure it out, why couldn't others?

A lot of time has passed since then. From printer issues, to sound issues, win-modem issues, video card driver issues, but time has a way of paving those issues over. In fact so much has changed that Lilo is now a faint memory, and installing Linux, still only takes 15-20 minutes. I was allured by the holy Windows 7 after hearing rave reviews on it, and sure it was solid, but you couldn't change anything. You were stuck with what some mega corporation gave you, and it locked me out of my system. Cryptic error messages. Windows 10 forced itself onto my system and that would crash constantly after a couple updates. What a nightmare. I am now happily back on Arch, wine to run WoW.

I am only 32 years old. I don't understand how people are afraid of trying Linux, but are comfortable with a mega corporation knowing everything about them, knowing every file on their PC, that forces updates and breaks things regularly. It blows my mind what users are willing to put up with, for perceived ease of use. What they are willing to trade for what amounts to very little. You trade your freedom for something that others offer up for free. Gone are the days of compiling things, though, it wasn't very hard to do to begin with. You can use your computer without ever touching CLI.

Windows would have driven me crazy, all the horror stories I heard about it. Windows ME, Vista, 8, and 10. I look on from the comfort of Linux, afraid of ever touching anything they shove down user's throats. I am very thankful for my old librarian and what he introduced me to. Without whom I would hate computers. Yet Windows users laugh at me. If you use Linux, give it to some kid in high school, and warn him/her of the dangers of using Windows. Tell them to be free. If you have been thinking about using Linux, come be free. While issues arise, they are far less infuriating. It's better here.

Official CMaNGOS Staff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only more people used Linux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno, I have always been a windows guy. Never had interest in learning Linux, but that's just me :-P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZNEE View Post
    Dunno, I have always been a windows guy. Never had interest in learning Linux, but that's just me :-P
    Why is that? Do you know that Microsoft collects every file name, your name, contacts names, etc everything they can and store it for "research usage"? Do you know what that research is? Do they tell you? I would want to know what a company, who knew all this about me, was doing with said information. I get that you may or may not have anything to hide, which is not the point, they hide what they do with your information. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with them if they didn't have such a bad track record. Spread the word. Save yourself from headaches, give Linux a try. It is fun, and learning it now is easier than ever. Everything is done for you.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog